Internet is one of the basic primary need that rules everyone’s life whether it might be for surfing, gaming, listening to music, etc. modems (or) routers are one such amazing devices that helps in accessing the internet seamlessly. But what if suddenly your modem (or) router becomes a headache, resulting in sluggish internet and slow speeds?
Anyways without even thinking for a while “Reset” is one of those options that comes to mind whenever there is an issue. It is one of the simplest and quickest ways to troubleshoot your device within seconds. In this article, we have provided detailed information on the different ways to reset your device, how to perform this process, and what are the various cases in which resetting your device could be beneficial.
Firstly, starting with an overview of resetting, resetting your modem (or) router is a process in which your device restores to its factory default settings. Moreover, all the customized settings including login credentials, parental controls, WiFi settings, security settings, etc are erased and returned to their default status. Generally, it is good things to reset your device once in a while to fix bugs, issues, and some security patches.
Ending up here, this is all about the reset process and let’s know more about this such as the potential reasons to reset your modem, what’s the process, and some tips. However, here is a quick navigation on the topics covered in this article.
Reasons Behind Resetting Your Xfinity Modem (or) Router
Here are Some of the Most Common Reasons that May Contribute to Resetting Your Modem (or) Router.
1. Configuration Issues
Sometimes, incorrect configurations can cause network problems. At this point resetting the device clears all the personalized settings and restores the device to its default settings. After resetting the device, you can reconfigure the settings as per your requirements.
2. Connectivity Problems
Usually, we do experience frequent dropouts, slow speeds, and intermittent connectivity problems. Resetting your modem (or) router can resolve these issues, resulting in establishing a stable and reliable connection with your ISP.
3. Firmware Updates
The Firmware of your modem (or) router must be updated regularly to improve your network security and performance. When you get a firmware update, you must reset your device to ensure that the changes take effect properly. This helps in improving the device’s overall performance and security.
4. Security Concerns
Security can be one of the reasons to reset your device. If you find that your network has been compromised, you must quickly reset it. Resetting your modem (or) router eliminates any unwanted configurations and restores the equipment to factory defaults, consequently protecting your network.
5. Error Messages
If you receive any error messages such as ‘Cannot join existing connection’ (or) ‘Cannot establish new connection’ while connecting to your XFINITY Wi-Fi Network, then resetting the device can help in resolving this kind of problem.
6. Device Malfunctioning
Yet times your modem (or) router may not work properly due to power surges, malfunctioning of the internal components, firmware updates, and so on. Simply reset your device to fix these problems.
7. Troubleshooting Steps
As a first step in troubleshooting, many people recommend resetting the device. It helps to fix temporary problems that can lead to network issues, reduced speeds, and slow internet.
Things Required Before Resetting Your Xfinity Modem (or)Router
There are a few things that must be noted down (or) kept handy before starting the reset process.
Restart Your Xfinity Modem (or) Router
Keep in mind that resetting your device will erase all of your settings, password, and network name. That’s why once try restarting the device before proceeding with resetting.
Here is a simple way to restart your device.
- Unplug your modem (or) router from the power source.
- Wait for 10 to 20 sec and plug it in again.
- Then wait for a while till the device restarts.
If this process doesn’t resolve your network issues, you can go ahead with resetting your router (or) modem.
Steps to Reset Your Xfinity Modem (or) Router
Follow the step-by-step process to reset your modem (or) router manually.
- First, turn off the modem (or) router and unplug it from the power supply.
- Identify the reset button on the device. Usually, it is located at the bottom (or) back of the modem (or) router.
- Use a paperclip (or) pen to press and hold the reset button for five seconds (or) longer. Avoid using any sharp pointed objects like needles (or) pins as they may damage the button.
- Release the button and wait for a few minutes for your device to reboot. Once after reset is completed, all the default settings are restored successfully.
- Now, plug in the modem (or) router, turn it on, and wait until the green light blinks brightly.
- Once you are back online, log in to the web page by entering your default IP address and login credentials. You can extract the default IP address from the user guide (or) website itself. Plus the default username and password can be found on the label present at the bottom (or) back of the device.
- Access the admin page and reconfigure the settings like username, password, security settings, and so on based on your needs and requirements.
Therefore, simply go along these instructions to reset your device effortlessly. And if you are stuck at any point (or) unable to proceed further, refer to the user manual (or) contact the Xfinity customer support team for further assistance.
Steps to Reset Your Xfinity Modem (or) Router Through the Web
If your Xfinity router (or) modem doesn’t have a reset button, you can also reset your router over the web.
- First, verify that your computer (or) mobile is connected to the Xfinity router (or) modem through Ethernet cable (or) Wi-Fi.
- Open any web browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, etc that work well on your device.
- Enter the IP address in the search bar. Usually, the default IP address of your device is 192.168.0.1 (or) you can even refer to the manual guide to extract it.
- Now, feed the login credentials such as username and password, and click on submit. You can get the default details from the device itself.
- Once logged in, you can access the user interface. Look for the “Reset” (or) “Reboot” option under settings and click on “Ok” to confirm the process.
- Wait for a few minutes so that the device resets completely. Don’t interrupt the process in the middle.
- After the reset is complete, you must change your network settings, which includes creating a new Wi-Fi network name (SSID) and password.
- Follow the on-screen instructions (or) consult the user manual to configure the settings.
If this doesn’t work, try restarting the web browser. Still doesn’t work, restart your computer and try again. Else approach the Xfinity customer support team.
How to Reset Your Xfinity Modem/Router – FAQs
Ans: Here are some troubleshooting tips if you experience problems throughout the Xfinity modem reset process.
*Make sure the reset button is pushed and held for at least 30 seconds.
*Check sure the modem is connected to a power source.
*After the reset, make sure the modem lights are on and steady.
*For more information, contact Xfinity customer service.
Ans: Launch a web browser on your PC or mobile device.
*Enter the default IP address for your modem in the address bar.
*Enter the default username and password for your modem to log in.
*If you are successfully logged in, it means the modem reset was successful.
Ans: Yes, you can avoid resetting your device by following some tips.
*Keep your modem in a cool, dry place away from heat sources and direct sunlight.
*Update your modem’s firmware regularly to prevent connectivity issues.
*Avoid power surges and unplugging your modem during software updates.
*Keep your modem clean and free of dust and debris to prevent overheating.
Ultimately, resetting your Xfinity modem can help fix various internet connectivity issues, such as poor speeds, dropped connections, and Wi-Fi issues. You can quickly reset your modem and restore your internet connection to its default settings by following the instructions given in this article. If you have any problems throughout the reset procedure, reach out to Xfinity customer service for assistance.
Credit : Source Post